Friday, June 6, 2008

the only thing left



is the garden,I've lost my career and future is uncertain,but if I go into my yard,the mental pleasure of vegetables,offsets the physical pain,so my latest obsession is composting,which is done in nature,everything lives and dies,things are born and then recycled,I had a composting pile but was not able to properly take care of it because of injury,you're supposed to turn a compost pile to let air inside it,so that's the purpose of the black drum,it's a urban composter ,the great thing is it will produce a load of compost in a month versus a year,there's a hollow tube inside a lets air into the pile,which speeds up the breakdown process because the little microbes are getting air,they are living organisms,if they do not get air they suffocating and die,there's the whole micro analogy thing,I can understand it I just can't describe it properly,
you walk through a forest,nature does composting yearly,leaves grow fall down rot,nutrients feed the tree,leaves regrow again,one thing I cannot understand is people that rake their grass clippings to the curb,think about it, you are slowly taking the food away from your lawn,because you are not refeeding it,its growing,you're cutting and taking away the plants,well once it runs out of food it starts dying and looking like garbage,so then you pour all these chemical fertilizers on it,which really does not help because you've already taken the food away,and now you're poisoning the ground with fertilizer,and since there's no food in the ground to use the fertilizer,it washes away in the water supply,and ends up polluting all of us,know I'm not some kind of environmental freak,I've just started learning about soil micro organisms and such,and the way plants feet and such. the name of the book I'm reading is called teeming with microbes
inserted hyperlink in anybody's interested in the book,I have been an amateur gardener my whole life so this book really explains a lot of things I was doing good and a lot of things I was doing wrong.if you loved to play in the dirt like I do,this book is something like gone in the wind or some kind of other analogy,words can't describe how much information I have gathered and how it all makes so much sense in that the things I was doing wrong for my garden versus the things I was doing right,in the book it explains how the plants get their food.and the proper things you can do so plants get their proper nutrition.I rambled on enough.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881927775/bookstorenow99-20

book link at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881927775/bookstorenow99-20
or copy
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881927775/bookstorenow99-20

No comments: